Vision, Beliefs, and Intentions
The principles that guide our organization...
The goal of the League of Women Voters is to empower citizens to shape better communities worldwide.
The League of Women Voters is a nonpartisan political membership organization which:
- acts after study and member agreement to achieve solutions in the public interest on key community issues at all government levels
- builds citizen participation in the democratic process.
- engages communities in promoting positive solutions to public policy issues through education and advocacy.
The League of Women Voters Education Fund is a nonpartisan public policy educational organization which:
- builds citizen participation in the democratic process
- studies key community issues at all governmental levels in an unbiased manner
- enables people to seek positive solutions to public policy issues through education and conflict management.
We believe in:
- respect for individuals
- the value of diversity
- the empowerment of the grassroots, both within the League and in communities
- act with trust, integrity and professionalism
- operate in an open and effective manner to meet the needs of those we serve, both members and the public
- take the initiative in seeking diversity in membership
- acknowledge our heritage as we seek our path to the future.
2006-2007 Proposed Local Programs
- Support public access to information and public involvement in determining education policy.
- Support adequate funding with emphasis on local needs.
- Support informed and active citizen participation in city budget making processes.
- Support boards and commisions holding public hearings on the budget section dealing with their special interests.
- Public hearings should be held early enough in the process to affect policy decisions
- Widespread publicity should be given prior to priority-setting hearings.
- To ensure public participation, meetings should be held at a time and place convenient for the public.
- Support comprehensive general planning of land use that is realistic, forward-looking and flexible, and is concerned with water quality and air quality together with economic impact, changing conditions, and community resources.
- Support Escondido's Growth Management and Neighborhood Protection Act (1998) to allow voters to make decisions on certain development proposals that are inconsistent with the city's General Plan.
- Support park systems that are adequate in relation to population and usage, with a budget that assures necessary acquisition and maintenance.
- Encourage proper usage and creative care.
- Support water resource planning with land use planning.
- Support measures that promote management and development of water resources in ways that are beneficial to the environment, with emphasis on conservation.
- Support high stnadards of water quality that are appropriate to the intended uses.
POPULATION IMPACTS/SUSTAINABLE FUTURE:
- Support policy planning and decision making that consider the carrying capacity of our region and our earth.
- Support population limitations to protect a sustainable future.
- Support education of League members and the public about the rate of population growth and the social environmental, and governmental impacts associated with a large and expanding population.
- Support requiring public approval by majority vote before major changes are made to General Plan land use provisions in North County communities. Support giving voters a strong voice in planning growth.
- Support lifestyles and communities that are sustainable without further damage to the environment, including but not limited to air and water quality, open space, wetlands, and other natural resources.
- Support universal access to adequate, affordable physical and mental health services for all segments of the population.
- Support participation in regional agencies that identify and seek solutions for area-wide problems.
- Support adequate and decent housing for families of low and moderate income.
- Ensure governmental responsibility to implement at the local level.